Commercial Lending Senior Counsel – Commercial Bank
A great opportunity exists for two detail-oriented, confident and experienced professionals to join the legal team for Capital One’s Commercial Banking business as Senior Counsel, providing legal advice and support for successful and growing businesses that provide financing to the Healthcare, Energy and Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) industries. The Senior Counsel roles will involve interaction with internal business associates, senior management and with internal and external legal counsel.
The Senior Managers will be responsible for the following:
- Providing deal support on commercial lending transactions to the Healthcare, Energy and TMT lines of business, including structuring, documentation review and negotiation and collaboration with partners across the bank
- Identifying and assessing legal risk, providing legal advice and assisting in resolving or escalating matters related to commercial lending transactions
- Keeping current with legislation, regulations and case law that affect the commercial bank’s lending activities and provide advice and guidance to the impacted lines of business
- Managing all legal issues in connection with a portfolio of loans
- Managing and developing a group of key outside counsel partners to work with the business to deliver market leading advice to assist the teams in building the franchise
- Representing Capital One at trade associations and being a leader in the commercial lending community from a regulatory and market perspective in order to bring to Capital One market intelligence and best practices
- Working seamlessly with Capital One’s first class legal team to deliver a wider variety of customer cutting edge technology banking products
- Working with Capital One’s enterprise regulatory, litigation, and corporate transaction team on regulatory, reputational and compliance issues
- Managing form document libraries, including form development and identification of market leading digital tools to assist with legal operations
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Strong internal counsel experience in the commercial lending area, complex leverage lending products (including syndicated loans) and capital markets
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with impeccable attention to detail
- The ability to prioritize and manage a significant volume of work on a broad array of topics with multiple and simultaneous deadlines is critical
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player to manage efficient processes, get issues resolved across organizational boundaries, and build collegial and effective relationships with business leaders, attorneys, paralegals, project managers and administrative assistants at all levels of the company
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage complex processes and projects
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar, or registered in-house counsel
- At least 4 years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or an in-house legal department working on commercial lending transactions, including cash flow, asset-based or reserve-based lending
- At least 6 years of experience at an Am Law 100 law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience with sponsor-backed, healthcare, energy or TMT transactions
- Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to commercial lending
- Demonstrated ability to get issues resolved across organizational borders
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).