If you wish to drive on the roads of India, as per law you need to have a valid driver’s license without which you are prohibited from drive. This goes for both the two-wheeler drivers and the four-wheeler drivers. In both the cases, having a respective driving license is a must.
The Driving License is considered as one of the most important identity proofs recognized by the Government of India. The Driving License certifies that the driver he can drive anywhere in India.
Eligibility for Driving License
The applicant should be above 16 years of age to apply for a two-wheeler driving license and above 18 years of age to apply for a vehicle driving license. If one wants to apply for a transport vehicle driving license, he has to be above 20 years of age.
Applicants are issued a Learner’s License first and then a permanent driving license.The permanent Driving License can be applied only after 30 days and before 180 days of the Learner’s License.
How to apply for Driving License
The applicant can apply for a Driving License online or offline. You must visit the official website of the RTOor Sarathi website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to download the application form online. Or visit the RTO office personallyto get the application form.
Fill in the details in the form carefully and upload or submit the same with the documents like proof of age, proof of address, learner’s license number, etc. In an online way, an Application Number will be given to you as you submit your form. Keep the number with you as this number can be used to track the status of your driving license.
An application form will ask you to fill in the details like:
- State of the Applicant
- Name of your respective RTO or DTO
- Full name of the applicant – like the first name, middle name and the surname
- Gender of the applicant
- Date of birth and the place of birth of the applicant
- Email address of the applicant (If you do not have, you can leave it blank)
- Full name of the father or husband or guardian whichever is applicable
- The proof of residence or permanent address proof (copy to be attached with the form)
- Current address
- Identification mark in case any
- Information on the type of vehicle the applicant wants to drive. Maximum 19 vehicle types can be applied. The details needed are the type of license like learner’s license or driving license, the description of the type of vehicle, the Registration Certificate number of the vehicle etc.
Documents needed to submit with the Driving License
- Learner’s License.
- Proof of address: The address proof can be one of these: Aadhar card, Ration card, Passport, Voter’s identity card or EPIC Card, Life insurance policy (LIC), major bills like electricity bill, telephone bill, gas bill, water bill etc., state or central government issued pay slip, etc.
- Proof of age: For the age proof the applicant can submit PAN card or school matriculation certificate or Voter’s identity card or EPIC card or passport or birth certificate.
- Driving school certificate (Only in case of transport vehicle driving license applicants).
- Passportsize photographs
Upon submission of all these, you need to pay fees for the driver’s test. Then you need to take the biometric recorder where your photo via webcam will be clicked and your thumb impression will be taken. Now after the test, you can take the learners license, which later can be converted to a permanent license.